Monday, August 15, 2011

The Assumption

Today is Monday, August Fifteenth, the feast of the Assumption. It is also sometimes known as the Dormition, or the "falling asleep" of The Blessed Virgin Mary. This is the day when we celebrate Our Lady being taken up, body and soul into heaven through the power of God. She now reigns there as Queen of heaven and earth, and of all mankind.

If you notice, this is the feast of the Assumption, as opposed to the feast of Our Lord's Ascension. To ascend means to rise up by one's own power. To assume means something that is done to one. God, after His death, burial, and Resurrection, later rose, or ascended to heaven of His own power. Our Lady was assumed into heaven through God's power, and not through any power of her own.

She is the one creature of God who now enjoys the glories and joys of heaven with both her body and soul.


Today, I also received a blog award! A huge thanks to Ruth Schiffmann of Out on a Limb, for awarding me the Liebster Award. (Liebster translates to mean Beloved, so that's even sweeter.) Thank you, Ruth!


The goal of this award is to spotlight upcoming bloggers who currently have less than 200 followers. The rules of the award are:

1. Thank the giver and link back to the blogger who gave it to you.
2. Reveal your top 5 picks and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.
3. Copy and paste the award on your blog.
4. Have faith that your followers will spread the love to other bloggers.
5. And most of all - have bloggity-blog fun!

My five choices are:
2.) The Writer of The Desert Rocks (I'm shocked to realise I don't know your name!!)
3.) Denise at A Room to Write
4.) Amanda at Old-Fashioned Girl

Congratulations, everyone, and Happy Feastday!

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. Cat, thank you so much for the award!!! ♥ I already have it, but in my next post I'll be sure to give you a shout out and link back. :))

    Thanks again,
    Kristen @ The Cozy Reading Corner
    http://www.the-crc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cat, wouldn't you know the greatest feast day of the year and we skipped dinner all together. Oh well, I'm sure we'll make up for it tomorrow- St. Stephen of Hungary Day which is usually on the 20th of August, but is celebrated in our diocese tomorrow. He is my husband's namesake and my family patron saint. Oh and my name is Eve and thank you for the thoughtful award! I will pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Cat! And Congratulations to you, also. I'll be sure to pass the love in next week's post. :)

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...