Monday, May 30, 2011

Starcrossed

The first chapter of STARCROSSED starts off with a chase. A nighttime chase. A very intense paragraph of chase that introduces us to Digger, the heroine of Elizabeth C. Bunce's beautiful fantasy set in the world of Llyvaraneth.

After a job-gone-wrong, accomplished thief and liar Digger is forced to flee the perilous city of Gerse. Sheer luck leads her into the hands of four young "nobs," or nobles, out for a cruise on their river boat. They offer her passage out of the city. Digger, under the pseudonym of Celyn Contrare, accepts the offer. On the boat, she notices that one of the nobles, a girl named Merista Nemair, seems to have a propensity to magic, a dangerous thing in Gerse where magic is forbidden. She does not mention this, though, for to mention it would reveal that she, too, has an affinity to magic.

Digger is taken to the home of the Nemairs, the parents of Merista Nemair. There, she is offered the position as Merista's lady's maid, a position she accepts. Later, this position obliges her to travel with the family to their keep called Bryn Shaer, where they will celebrate Merista's coming-of-age birthday. At first, all seems well and good. But then comes Lord Remy Daul, a supposed friend of Merista's father, with a bitter secret and vengeful heart bent on destroying the Nemair fanily. With his arrival, Digger's world is turned upside down, and when Daul discovers her true nature, he blackmails her into assisting him with the search that will, he hope, lead to the Nemair's downfall.

Full of unexpected twists and surprising characters, STARCROSSED is an engaging, fascinating read.


I really enjoyed this story. The first chapter was a race to read, moved along very quickly, and kept my interest completely captivated. The next few chapters, when Digger is escaping Gerse and meeting the young nobles, is a bit on the slow side, but I understand the reason of this because the author is introducing us to the complex world of Llyvaraneth, with all its politics, classes of people, and beliefs. Once I reached Bryn Shaer, though, I didn't want to put the book down until I'd completely finished.

There are "religions" in this story, as well as reference to gods and goddesses, and though I don't approve of gods and goddesses in my fantasies, the author handled it with grace and skill. She did not shove it down your throat. It was simply presented as a way of life.

Digger was an empathetic character. She was believable, captivating, and spunky without being a brat. She had a sense of honour about her, and unexpected determination to do what she felt was right.

Perhaps one of the things that I didn't like, and "censored" as I read, were the subtle innuendos and slightly offish descriptions that very, very lightly peppered this book.

I would probably have given this book at least four-and-a-half stars, were it not for the offish bits. However, because of that, I offer her four stars.

My rating:
****


If you desire, you can read the Goodreads review of this story, and the Amazon review as well.

5 comments:

  1. Great review. I'll have to check the book out.

    I'm of the opposite opinion re: gods and religions in fantasy. If they're well done, I think they add a depth that the story wouldn't have without them. Of course, the first fantasies I ever read had gods in them, so I might just prefer it because it's what I saw first, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ellen.

    See, since I'm a Catholic, I have an issue with "gods." If someone writes about a Creator figure, a ONE God, that's one thing. The plural gods is pagan, and that's the only thing I have against it. But it doesn't take away from the story. I think you'll really, really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I've been wanting to read this. Your review couldn't have come at a more perfect time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! That's exciting, Kelly! Tell me what you thought about it, after you finish reading it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have to read this book now Cat!

    As for the poem, you can copy, as always just link back to me as it is an original work :)

    A xx

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...