Monday, March 28, 2011

Steampunk Jewelry!!

There are days when writing just doesn't do it for me.

I went to Borders today (where else, right?) and found this absolutely fantabulous book called "Steampunkery". It's the COOLEST book! It's a jewelry book, actually, that involves using polymer clays and odds-and-ends to create Steampunk jewelry. Cool, huh?

I spent quite a lot of the day reading how to make Steampunk creations, and just dying to form some clay in my hands. I don't know how many people have actually ever worked with clay, but it's one of the most SOOTHING feelings in the world to fashion that soft, malleable stuff into something lovely. Anyway, this book shows how to create little different things, like metal-looking hearts and jointed, metallic bugs, and to insert cogs and gears into them so that they look to be clockwork jewelry. It's SO COOL! You can make necklaces, brooches, interesting knick-knacks, "pocket protectors", all out of clay and some oddments that you have lying about.

I think, if I ever have oodles of time, I'm going to take up clay. Seriously, you need to check out this book, and the authors website (which I have linked below) and tell me if you are not inspired to create Steampunk jewelry. 

So, that's what I read tonight. I haven't been quite this inspired in a while. :-)

9 comments:

  1. Doesn't it? I really want to get some clay and start experimenting. I love Steampunk. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that? Great find! I love Borders, too, by the way. I'm heading there this morning! If you make this clay jewelry, can you post pictures? I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like big fun. Thanks for turning us onto it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't worked with clay since high school art classes.

    Clay jewellry? I'd never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, isn't that cool? I'll definitely post if I get some decent jewelry created. I'm hopefully going to town this weekend, so I'll get some clay then. I'm DREAMING of clay!

    Catherine, you're so welcome. It's amazing stuff, isn't it?

    William, you can make some really gorgeous jewelry out of clay. Let me see if I can find some links...

    Okay, check out these two.

    Judy Belcher's stuff is lovely.
    http://judybelcher.blogspot.com/
    Sandra McCaw's stuff is AMAZING! Yes, that's all clay. Gorgeous! http://sandramccaw.com/gallery.html

    Shelly, :) back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Root" is adorable. I like his little hands. thanks for sharing the fun and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by to comment, Carol. I'm glad you like what I do. I'm DEFINITELY not as good as those professionals I've pointed out, but I utterly adore working with clay.

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...